|Native||Compiled the Source Engine Leak. https://jameshug.notion.site/Guide-to-Installing-Portal-Using-Source-Engine-on-macOS-660803f9ced149cfa1647d38fd5a7092|
|CrossOver||Installed via Steam on CrossOver 21, extreme fps drops during shootouts and explosions.|
Native ARM build from leaked source
These instructions are heavily based on guides written by James Hug. This method can be used to build native ARM macOS ports of Half-Life, Half-Life 2, Half-Life 2: Episode 1 & 2, Portal, Counter-Strike: Source etc. as long as the necessary game files from Steam have been copied into the correct folder.
Enter these commands into a Terminal window:
1. Install Homebrew
/bin/bash -c "$(curl -fsSL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Homebrew/install/HEAD/install.sh)"
On Apple Silicon Macs: remember to set the path, modify this command with your username:
(echo; echo 'eval "$(/opt/homebrew/bin/brew shellenv)"') >> /Users/$(whoami)/.zprofile eval "$(/opt/homebrew/bin/brew shellenv)"
2. If Xcode Command Line Tools does not install, then install it manually:
3. Install required packages from Homebrew (added the jpeg-turbo dependency from instructions)
brew doctor brew cleanup brew install sdl2 freetype2 fontconfig pkg-config opus libpng libedit python3 jpeg jpeg-turbo
4. Clone the Source Engine GitHub repository
git clone --recursive https://github.com/nillerusr/source-engine cd source-engine
5. The location of
StubSteamAPI was recently moved on 23rd May 2023, so this has to be put into the correct place for the build scripts to work:
6. Set pkg path:
7. Configure game builds:
- Half-Life 2:
python3 waf configure -T release --64bits --prefix= --build-games=hl2
- Half-Life 2 Episodes:
python3 waf configure -T release --64bits --prefix= --build-games=episodic
python3 waf configure -T release --64bits --prefix= --build-games=portal
- Counter-Strike: Source:
python3 waf configure -T release --64bits --prefix= --build-games=cstrike
8. Build the game:
python3 waf build
9. Create Build folder Install build into directory, this can be located anywhere ideally append with
python3 waf install --destdir='~/Documents/Build folder/hl2'
10. Open Build folder in new Finder window.
11. Open Mac version of Steam and install games e.g Half-Life 2, Episode 1, Episode 2, Portal, Counter-Strike: Source etc. these game files I will refer to as the Steam folder.
12. Open Steam folder in Finder: right-click on game in Steam library, go to Manage and Browse local files. Alternatively navigate to
13. In the Steam folder:
Build folder/bin/folder into
Steam folder/replacing the previous
14. In the Steam folder:
- Copy/move from Build folder
- Rename the
15. In the Steam folder:
- Navigate inside 'game' folder (e.g.
- Delete the bin subfolder (e.g.
- From the Build folder go to game folder (e.g.
Build folder/hl2/) and move/copy from the Build folder to the Steam folder into the game (e.g.
16. Now the respective game can be launched from within Steam.
17. Other parameters:
- cstrike (Counter-Strike: Source) - in addition tot he above instructions, also copy the
Steam folder/hl2/and put it in the root of the
Steam folderso that the game will launch.
- tf (Team Fortress Classic)
- dod (Day of Defeat)
- hl2mp (Half-Life 2: Deathmatch)
- ↑ Verified by User:PBeGood4 on 29 April 2023
- Device: M1 MacBook Pro
- Method: Compiled Source Engine Leak
- Resolution: 1920x1080
- Settings: high
- Framerate: 120+ FPS
- ↑ Verified by User:gp on 7 Sep 2021
- Device: Mac M1 16 GB RAM
- OS: Windows 11 (latest Insider ISO)
- Method: Parallels 17
- Resolution: 1080p
- Settings: Medium
- Framerate: 50~60 FPS